Thursday, May 13, 2010

Authentic Christianity

Have you ever wondered what it looks like to really follow after Christ?

Have you ever seen an example of what this looks like in our world today?

One of my friends introduced me to someone who is an authentic Christ-follower...Katie. From Nashville, she surrendered to God's call at 17 years old. Her story began with a short-term mission trip as a high school student. And the rest of her story (which continues today) is incredible... you must read it (beginning with the 2007 entries on her blog). God's plan for her included surrendering everything, and moving to Uganda to become "mommy" to 14 orphaned girls. Wow.

Consider this passage from Matthew 16, as paraphrased in The Message: "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself?"

Katie took God at His Word and followed the One True God... to Uganda.

Jesus wants all of you too. Let go of the possessions, popularity, and pursuits that you hold on to so tightly... and experience the freedom that God gives from a life surrendered to Him.

I urge you to read Katie's story here and see a 21-year old that is in love with Jesus.

I'm excited to introduce you to someone that can say "Follow me as I follow Christ" (1 Cor 11:1).

Remember as you read, God's plan for you may not look exactly like Katie's. But He does have a plan, exciting and full of adventure (not without trial and difficulty), and He wants to share it with you and walk alongside you... will you follow Him?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me. When you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you" (Jeremiah 29:11-14).

Seek Him...surrender all...

Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment